What girl doesn’t like something that makes you feel prettier?! I am a makeup junkie. Actually, since we now have a mortgage and “real” bills, my makeup expenditures have really dwindled. I’ve realized that I only used a fraction of the makeup that I owned. I quickly thought of the
ridiculous amount of cash I’ve blown on this stuff.
Yesterday, my cousin and I hit up the mall and there it was. The makeup department.
**cue the Jaws theme song**
I am a recovering makeup addict. Kind of. I splurge occasionally on the good stuff, and try to find similar products at the drug store. I left the store with just two MAC eyeshadows. I am truly getting better at talking myself out of makeup binges.
There are the things I’ve learned to say no to –> like buying the new eyeshadow quad from Chanel just because I liked the shimmery purple one and I know I’ll never use the other three colors. About a year ago, I would have snapped that up in two seconds flat without batting an eyelash.
Then there are the things I feel are worth the money.
Just like a classic Kate Moss outfit, my makeup bag is filled with an array of items ranging from couture to Walmart.
Here are my top 10 products that I use:
10. Rosebud Strawberry Lip Balm. I put this on before I go to sleep to keep my lips soft. It’s not sticky, not too shiny, smells awesome. The tin is huge, so it lasts forever. Plus the packaging is so cool and vintage.
9. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer is kind of pricey, but I only use a pea size amount of it, so it lasts for about four months if I use it every day. In the Summer, I use the original formula because I feel like it mattifies my skin. In the cooler months, I use the light version that is a bit creamy in consistency.
8. NYC Lip Liner in Naughty Nude. The name is cheesey, but it’s about $2 and works better than the MAC ones I used to spend a fortune on. It’s an automatic liner, so you never need a sharpener, you just twist it up. The color blends with any lipstick or gloss you pair it with.
7. Almay Nearly Naked Cover Up Stick concealer is inexpensive and provides nice coverage. I use it under my eyes
the morning after margarita night to look refreshed and awake. It’s creamy so it blends well.
6. MAC eyeshadow in Woodwinked. First of all, MAC has the best eyeshadow. Period. It’s very highly pigmented, so that means more color get deposited to your shadow brush instead of all over your bathroom counter. The color is always rich and looks like it does in the pot, so there are no surprises. They also have the best color range. The product is expensive, so I don’t buy trendier colors from this company, but the classic colors, I spend the money. Woodwinked is my favorite. It is a neutral metallic. Tan, with flecks of gold, shiny but not frosty. Just perfect. I wore it on my wedding day, and I wear it every day. It’s a must.
5. Almay liquid eyeliner in black. Almay is hypoallergenic so it won’t irritate the eyes. This stuff stays put. If you pull an all-nighter, this eyeliner will too. It never smudges, washes off easily, and the applicator is user-friendly 😉
4. Q-Tips! I have an art degree, but sometimes when I “draw” on my eye liner, I get shaky handed. Good ole Q-Tips correct all of my eye makeup mistakes. Plus, when I apply
a zillion coats of mascara, it gets all over my eyelids and these little puppies take care of business.
3. It’s a tie. Chanel Mat Lumiere Foundation & Chanel Pro Lumiere Foundation. I bounce back and forth between these two. Mat Lumiere is great for the Summer, because it is a matte finish. I just recently made the switch to the Pro Lumiere which has a satin finish. My skin tends to look dull in the winter, so a little dewiness (not greasiness) goes a long way. The coverage is flawless, and long-lasting. It literally melts into your skin. Since you only use one pump of this stuff at a time, it lasts a while. It took about 7 months to run through my last bottle. It’s $54 and worth every single penny. If your skin looks great, everything else will too.
2. Physician’s Formula Bronzer. This product gives a natural glow to skin. It’s honestly the only bronzer that doesn’t make me look orange like an Oompa Loompa.
1. L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara in Carbon Black. I know, I know, I dedicated an entire post to this stuff before, but really, I won’t leave my house without it on. The color is an intense black, it doesn’t flake, it lengthens, thickens, and is pretty much the best mascara ever made 🙂
Honorable Mentions: These I only use on special occasions.
Model in a Bottle sprays on and acts like a super hold hairspray for the face. Your makeup will stay in tact through sweat and tears, and humidity (or a wedding in July :))
Ardell False Lashes. Often Imitated Never Duplicated. Party ready in one application!
What are your must haves?